We are a long established firm of Chartered Accountants based in Cardiff, Wales. We provide our clients with a first-class service - helping our business clients to achieve greater profitability, and our individual clients to enjoy greater wealth.
As one of Wales’ leading independent firms of Chartered Accountants, BPU has a proven track record of success in helping clients across all sectors to achieve profitability, enjoy greater wealth and gain and maintain control of their financial situation.
During its 40 years in practice BPU has developed a specialised service to private and public sector firms, including owner managed businesses and larger limited companies. BPU’s director-led approach allocates a team to every client with the support of a qualified manager and tax professional.
BPU has over 35 staff and directors operating from its two offices in Cardiff Gate and Llantwit Major. The firm has ambitious growth plans for the future and is committed to the training of Chartered Accountants as a key factor in its continued success.
See our current vacancies below:
Trainee Chartered Accountant
The position will train the successful candidate to provide a range of accountancy and business advisory services to a diverse client base ranging from small businesses and start ups to larger groups of companies. The on-the-job training provided, together with your studies towards the ACA professional qualification will enable you to gain a full understanding of the technical aspects of audit and accountancy and additional business advisory services.
This successful candidate will gain broad experience in the following:
- Develop an understanding of the firm's clients and their businesses
- The use of computerised accounting systems such as Sage, Xero, and IRIS
- Assisting clients in the preparation of their monthly or quarterly management information
- The preparation of annual accounts on behalf of clients
- The completion of audit programmes and forming conclusions on individual audit tests and completed sections of the audit file
- Highlight issues and problems for the attention of seniors and managers within the firm
- From very early on in your training you will be expected to engage with our clients at their offices and:
- Discuss queries with client staff, obtaining relevant information and explanations as required
- You will need to resolve queries whether of an audit or accountancy nature
- You will gain experience in the preparation of Corporation Tax, VAT and Income Tax returns
- You will also gain experience in other business advisory services such as due diligence and business planning and forecasting
Personal qualities required
The successful candidate will need to:
- Communicate professionally with both colleagues and clients
- Manage their own work effectively (with supervision)
- Work as part of a team to undertake a variety of audit and accountancy assignments
- Understand from their allocated senior or manager the scope of tasks assigned to them and the objectives to be achieved in their work
- Keep their seniors and managers fully informed of any issues and problems and ensure work is completed to an acceptable level
- Prioritise tasks and work cost effectively within budget and allocated deadlines
- Demonstrate commitment to studying for the Chartered Accountancy qualification
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
Chartered Accountancy Training Contract
BPU is looking for ambitious graduates who are prepared to work hard within a team environment and help the firm to realise its goals. We offer the following opportunity in Chartered Accountancy for graduates:
- A three year ACA training contract to start on 1 September 2019
- Formal tuition provided by an accredited training provider to take you through the various stages of the Chartered Accountancy examinations
- Help from student mentors and a training manager at the firm
- An opportunity to work with a diverse range of clients in a number of sectors
- Achieve a recognised and prestigious qualification
We offer a competitive starting salary with excellent increments during the three year training contract. All training costs and study leave are paid for by the firm for first sittings of examinations.
A 2:1 (or higher) class of degree (actual or predicted) is required. The chosen individual must be a team player with the ability and determination to succeed.
Please send your CV and covering letter (preferably via email) to:
Huw Palin, Director
BPU Chartered Accountants
Cardiff Gate Business Park
Tel: 029 2073 4100
Closing date for applications: 30 April 2019